Saturday 6 December 2014

"Let's Get Out of Here"

I can recall many times in my youth when I was tempted to go along with the crowd just to fit in.   One time my friends and I were at a mall parking lot after hours.  I don't remember why we were there, but I remember another group of teens was there too.  This group had discovered that one of the retailers within the mall had left one of their shipping doors open and unlocked.   They were running in and out of the store.  Some of them brought boxes out of the store and all of them were laughing.

I remember sitting with my friends and talking about it.  We all agreed that they were crazy to do what they were doing.

As we sat there, I remembered the wisdom of Solomon from Proverbs 1:13-19


13 Think of the great things we’ll get!
    We’ll fill our houses with all the stuff we take.
14 Come, throw in your lot with us;
    we’ll all share the loot.”
15 My child, don’t go along with them!
    Stay far away from their paths.
16 They rush to commit evil deeds.
    They hurry to commit murder.
17 If a bird sees a trap being set,
    it knows to stay away.
18 But these people set an ambush for themselves;
    they are trying to get themselves killed.
19 Such is the fate of all who are greedy for money;
    it robs them of life.  (NLT)

I'll admit that I didn't remember it word for word, but I knew what Solomon meant.   I decided to speak up:

"Guys, I think we should get out of here.   If the police show up, they will think we are in on all of this".

I'll never forget the reaction from my friends, "Whoa yeah!  You are right.   Let's get out of here!".   We drove away and decided to circle around the block.  We were all amazed that when we drove by the mall again, the police had showed up and were fully into restoring order.  None of the teens involved were laughing now.   We were free to go and have a good evening.

As we drove home, I had time to reflect and I realized that the Bible really does make sense for every day living.  I thanked God for giving Solomon such wisdom and for putting people in my life to point it out to me.  I thanked the Holy Spirit for bringing it to my mind right when I needed it.

2 comments:

  1. Neat stor! It is cool seeing the connection between bible and daily lives

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jewel. Yeah that's what I was thinking with this whole thing. Proverbs is an easy book to see those sorts of things if we just look. Glad you are reading.

    ReplyDelete