Friday 12 December 2014

Don't Trust Yourself

As a child, I memorized a number of different bible verses.   One Sunday morning, there was a bible verse written on the black board in my class.   The teacher had given a lesson about it.  Class was finishing up and everyone was heading upstairs to the church service.   I was the last one out the door and just as i got to the door, I looked back at the black board.  I read this verse:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
    do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek his will in all you do,
    and he will show you which path to take.  (NLT)

That's Proverbs 3:5-6.  I'm sure I first read it in the King James Version because that's what we used back then.  I remember standing alone in that room staring at those words on the black board.  Something changed in me that day.  I had memorized many verses, but on that day, in that moment, I remember saying to myself, "That verse is now my favorite verse".   I can't quite explain why I made that decision right on the spot that day, but from that moment on, I have had those words memorized.  
As I think about it now, I believe that God moved in me that day to pay close attention to those words and apply them to my own life.   That was 30 years ago.    

As I have moved through life, I have seen how this wisdom from God is true.  God will direct you.   He will show you which way to go.  Trust him.  Depend on him.  He will open doors for you and he will shut other doors for you.  As you think about a career path, what friends to hang around with, who you should marry, where you should live, where you should go to school or where you should work, remember that he is beyond capable to take you down the right and best path in life.  As you trust him in life, you will see as you go along, how he directs your life.  I have known this to be true for me.  Trust him.  Don't trust yourself.     

No comments:

Post a Comment