Tuesday 16 December 2014

Don't Bother Correcting Mockers

A few days ago, I saw something online that upset me.   The details of it really aren't important, but we've all been there.  We've all seen or heard someone say something or post something online that is a dig at us or at someone we know and love.  It's a cheap shot.   It's mockery.   Something you hold very dearly is cheapened and you just boil up on the inside.  And so you lash out and you try your best to correct those who are laughing at you and the things you hold dearly.

So I commented on what I saw.   But I'm positive that no one was convinced by my words of correction.  I sit here days later regretting even opening my mouth.  Why couldn't I have just left it alone?  Why did I have to boil up like that?

And then I read Proverbs 9:7-9:

Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return.
    Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt.
So don’t bother correcting mockers;
    they will only hate you.
But correct the wise,
    and they will love you.
Instruct the wise,
    and they will be even wiser.
Teach the righteous,
    and they will learn even more.

Where were those words a few days ago?  Well, they've been there in the same place for 3000 years.   The book of Proverbs.  The wisdom of God given to us for our good.   I didn't have it on my mind a few days ago, but I certainly do today.   If I could travel back in time, I'd go back and stop myself from wasting my breath.

Correcting people is something we all like doing.  It just feels good to be right, doesn't it?   You can be right, but in being right, you can also be dead right.   And that's how I feel about this situation.  I'm just dead right.   I don't think I'm wrong, but I also don't think I've really actually helped anyone either.  I'm just left with a sick, empty, and dead feeling inside.  

Taking time to correct mockers usually doesn't end well and usually ends up leaving you feeling empty.  The path of wisdom is to find ways to correct those who are not mocking, but genuinely desiring to pay attention to God.  Those people will love your words of correction.

I am reminded of Jesus on the cross.  He prayed for those who mocked him and asked the Father to forgive them.  He didn't try to correct them,   His words of correction were most often given to his disciples.   They were the ones who listened to him and wanted to follow him.  They were not mockers.  They were his friends.  This wisdom from Proverbs is something Jesus lived out and proved.

Can you think of a time when you tried to correct a mocker?   How did it go?
Can you think of a time when you tried to correct a wise person?  How did that go?

No comments:

Post a Comment